Thursday, February 15, 2007

Isn't it nice when things just work...

I'm really starting to get some consistency at the moment and I'm loving every minute of it.

I took a rest day on Monday after a big weekend but Tuesday I went out for a shot at a 5km course near me. Well, almost 5km, I think it's actually about 4.9km, but the important part is that I time trialled it and came up with 19:17. Very happy. Even if its just shy of 5km I would have cracked 20mins and either way, its the fastest I've run it by over a minute!

Wednesday I rode the Cycleogical ride again. It was a good workout, but messier than usual... I'm feeling more confident so it's less of a worry but I see things now that wouldn't have worried me at all on my first couple of rides. Guess I've just got to keep my wits about me!

This morning we had an easy session at PCRG because of the 3km Brisbane running club showdown tomorrow night which I'm all geared up for. But I made some new friends and coughed up for eight sessions so they've got me good now!

Then, afterwork today I hit the pool for 2km and learnt something. I learnt not to fight the water. When cycling or running when you want to go faster, all you really have to do is push harder. However the realisation I had in the pool today is that the same doesn't necessarily apply in the water. Sure, if you can push harder it helps, but the trick is not to fight against the water and if you want to go faster, clean up your stroke!

This is particularly important because as regular readers will know, I procrastinate like crazy about the pool (evidenced by the fact that I've been talking about joining a swim squad for like six months and just "haven't had a chance to get round to it"...). But I feel a lot more confident after this little lesson (and the result from the weekend) so hopefully I'll get to the uni on Tuesday afternoon next week and give it a shot!

Still deciding whether to ride or sleep in tomorrow morning (with the 3km challenge in the afternoon), but at this stage I'm leaning towards 40km... just because I can!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, that's a super duper 5k time Owen. Well, a super duper 4.9k time :-)

I'm happy you are enjoying PCRG. And I'm extra happy you are on our team tomorrow night. Should be fun!

8:58 pm  
Blogger Cirque said...

Hmmm...so when are you going to join this swim squad?

8:09 pm  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

well done at the 3k TT Owen. team PCRG had the benefits of that sub 4min k's of yours. what am i saying...sub 3:45's now!! great progress happening mate!

7:45 am  
Blogger miners said...

mate - a couple of break throughs in the one post! Congrats

Yeah, developing motivation for pool-swimming is akin to developing motivation for a dental visit. Believe me, the squads can be just as much fun as PCRG provided you land yourself the right bunch of guys &/or well costumed girls :)

2:01 pm  
Blogger TD said...

Fantastic run for your there Owen in the 5k..er 4.9k'er. As you said you would have broken 20mins for sure. That's damn quick and I wish I was running those times at present.

Very interesting comments you wrote on swimming. Have you read any of Shane Gould's books? Shane stresses exactly what you did that we shouldn't attack the water or thresh around in it. Swimming, she says, is a matter of fluency and being at one with the water. That's an interesting concept and one that I would love to learn.

5:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home