Sunday, January 28, 2007

Long bunch ride

I took my first long bunch ride out to Redcliffe this morning. It was a lot faster than I normally do that sort of distance (120km) in (avg speed 30km/hr - I normally do 25km/hr). But it felt great. Although the bunch was very messy at times and I nearly got dropped at the halfway point, I managed to stick on and when we got back to Brisbane I was riding at about fourth wheel (Very cool considering the pack was about 150 bikes!).

As for it's usefulness in regards to triathlon training... well it's not fantastic, but I do learn a lot more about the effects of air flow etc, and it's a lot more interesting too... I think when I get into it I'll use that program I posted yesterday and on the weekends where I'm doing the long rides that incorporate the swim I'll ride to Redcliffe with the bunch, swim and then ride back alone...

Tomorrow morning I'm going to run about 23/24 kms.

Oh, and the skins are feeling fantastic Don. I'm starting to wonder how we used to recover without them!

3 Comments:

Blogger TD said...

Thanks Owen. I used to think it was just market hype with those claims about skins but they certainly do seem to work. I also wore them during my long flight to the USA and return and found that they did help stop the pooling of blood in my feet and ankles

Great ride there as well, especially considering the size of the pack.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Awesome ride kinda. Well done!

6:31 pm  
Blogger miners said...

150 bikes!! Gee, and I complain about the packs of 30-40. Be careful out there mate. The more bikes in the pack, the more potential there is for someone to screw up. Pack rides are great for getting your speed up, and they can certainly work you hard and take you out of your comfort zone. Just make sure you can trust everyone around you to keep you safe :)

I love the look of the program - except you could be training for the IM with those volumes!

2:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home