Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sporadic training fortnight - but I'm back into it.

I've been very slack in my blogging lately, only because there doesn't seem to be much to report!

Was planning on taking it reallllly easy after the BRRC 10km, so I chilled out for most of the week straight after it but when I went for my long ride last Sunday my shin played up again so I didn't do anything til Tuesday which was slightly more rest than I'd bargained on. No matter, I did a hard 8km on Wednesday, an easier 9km on Thursday and then a tempo 37/9 brick set on Friday afternoon. All of which felt really good.

Today was the first race in the Gatorade Tri series. Because it's realtively short (400/15/4) and I only live 15km away I decided to ride there and back and it was really awesome. I normally don't ride with music but I needed some pre-race tunes so I put a playlist on my ipod that a friend had done for me, ending with Eye of the Tiger and went both to and from the race.

The race itself also went really well, I managed to keep a good rhythm in the swim and wasn't as freaked by it as last season. Bike went well, except for some smarmy b*stard who drafted me for the last 7km and then took off on the run leg. I was killing him on the uphills though, he only caught me on the downhills. Run was really good too except I couldn't push myself in the last 500m the way I normally do - stomach just wouldn't let me... I think it's just a result of experimenting with different gels etc and coffee. I think I'm just putting too much in at the moment so I'm going to back off the fuel while I'm racing...

Recovery run tomorrow and then swim on Tuesday.

6 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Nice work off "sporadic" training Owen - Careful with too much "Eye of the Tiger" pre-race - you don't want to go out too hard!

2:55 pm  
Blogger miners said...

good effort mate - and you're right about the fuel. I wouldn't bother with any food/gels on a race of that length. Think about it in a similar comparison to running. You generally don't need a gel until you're competing beyond half-marathon distance (say 90-100mins+). I "might" take a gel during an Olympic distance race - but not with anything shorter. If you've had a good (light) breakfast, and hydrated properly beforehand, you shouldn't need anything else :)

5:58 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Now, that's an old tune! A 15k bike is short - almost worth riding in your running shoes.

Well done on a good hit-out.

7:01 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

Well done Owen. Good to hear you are more confident this year in the swim. Certainly you are more trained in the run and bike as well so we all expect good things from you this year.

I don't use gels/coffee or anything other than water when I train.
But in 'practice' races - ie BRRC I do and this lets you get used to it before a 'real' race. However I really like training the body on no fuel so it gets a good helping hand when I do fuel up.

As Miners said - that sort of race length I would just have a light breakfast. Actually I would not be able to eat - but thats just me - I would have a can of V. Revs me up!!

Can't wait for Noosa - only days now!

10:57 am  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a real confidence booster of a race - well done Owen! A great way to start the tri season.

11:01 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

How ya going dude?

7:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home