Wednesday, September 20, 2006

... A REALLY good burn...

Monday
This definately SHOULD have been an easy, no watch, recovery run day but the thought of hitting 40mins for 10km on Sunday was weighing heavily on mind so I decided to do a bit of a time trial "just to see"... I know it was naughty but I couldn't help myself...

So I did 5km pretty much dead on 20mins (20:04 actually, but I think it was 60m too long...). Definately the fastest I've timed (but I haven't done many of them...) and considering it was with very tired legs, in my older shoes and a full stomach (it was the afternoon), I was very happy with the result and feel a lot more confident for Sunday. I did however have a really sore right glute which is a niggle I've been trying to play down for the past week. I think it's a result of shifting my cycling position and this was confirmed on Wednesday (see below). I've been managing it with a heat pack before bed...

Tuesday
Did an easy 1km swim and finally had the recovery session I should have had Sunday afternoon... It felt really good considering I haven't swum in a fortnight. I'm going to first squad session Thursday.

Put the heat pack on my ass before bed again...

Wednesday
Another 40/10 brick session. It was really good and I finished in about ten minutes less than last week. This is mainly because of a change of route on the cycle leg so the actual time difference isn't a big deal but I did feel heaps stronger off the bike, was into a rhythm much faster and my glute felt heaps better than it did during last weeks' session, and the way it has for the last few days.

Again I think it's because I was really focussing on spinning my legs rather than pushing them (something I think I slipped back into Sunday's hills which may have aggravated the situation...). Clearly this is something I'm going to have to seriously concentrate on because it's having a really positive impact when I get it right and a whole basket of negative ones when I bugger it up!

Oh and I got swooped by yet another magpie. Not as scary as it was three weeks ago, now I just shake my head a bit and break into a sprint...

Overall I got a finish time of 2:06, now I just need to get that swim time down to 24mins...

Tomorrow is my first attempt at squad (provided I get this last assignment done tonight...) and then an EASY 8km on Friday and an EASY spin session on Saturday morning... Look out Sunday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I want you to find a dictionary & look up the definition of 'EASY'.

And then stick to it for the next few days...

And then let it rip come Sunday!!

7:31 pm  
Blogger miners said...

nice one Jen - although don't be worried mate. Your prep's been great and I don't think that running the 10km on Sunday on tired legs will do you any harm if you consider Noosa as the ultimate goal.

Best of luck mate!

9:43 am  
Blogger undercover brother said...

owen,
i think i saw tessos 'bizzaro owen' along coro drive yesterday arvo.
is he about 4 inches taller, 10kg heavier and 10 yrs older than you.
he does however have curly dark locks.
he was wearing a gc ?half finishers tshirt.
is this a bizzaro owen sighting?
bro
ps good luck with the 10km.

7:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home