Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Breakthrough sessions

I think I'm finally starting to make some progress with my cycling! This is good because in comparison to the run focus of my training my cycling focus has taken a long time to get a bit of momentum but I seem to be getting there. The only other problem is the animals! I've been swooped by three more magpies and chased by a dog since my last post!

Friday
Went out for a ride that was going to be 70k just nice and easy. After about 25 I was still feeling really good so I fuelled up on a muesli bar and decided to see if I could stretch out my distance a little. All up I ended up doing 80km which is a new threshold for me. Apart from having to break into sprints every time I heard a CRAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! followed by the crack of talons on my helmet, the whole ride felt really good, no niggles etc, just focussed on keeping back in the seat and spinning my legs rather than pushing the pedals. All up it took about 2:45 which means an avergae speed of abot 28km/hr. This was just above 30km/hr for the first 60km, but I couldn't maintain that pace in the last quarter. I also had another coffee before I left and this seemed to work really well.

Saturday and Sunday
Rest (had an exam Saturday morning, had to work Saturday afternoon and Sunday and had drinks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights...)

Monday
Spent a cruisy 30 mins on the magtrainer that was pretty much just a random fartlek session of different sized intervals ranging from 3 minutes to 30 seconds in a variety of gears.

Tuesday
Went out with the plan of running a 10km TT but got three km in before realising I hadn't started my watch properly. I was feeling pretty out of it so I just jogged home and did another 30 mins on the mag trainer at a constant pace.

Wednesday
The goal today was 40/10 brick set hammer to see where I was at. In order to avoid the wildlife that appears to have it in for me I had to stick to the main roads which meant lots of traffic lights so my 40km bike stretched out to 1:28 and felt really stop-start with all the traffic. The wind also played a massive part in my ride today as it was very strong going out and seemed to have just disappeared on the way back. I did manage to get into a good rhythm for the last 10k of the ride though which set me up really well for the run...

And what a run! I started out very slowly because my glutes were feeling a little tender from the ride but it had all cleared up by about 3km and when I hit the 5km turnaround I just gave it everything I had and got home in about 45 mins. All up the run distance was about 10.75km which means I was running about 4:06 a km. Very happy! and no animals!

I did learn however that I'm absolutely going to have to eat something on the ride as I was getting seriously hungry by the 4km mark of the run. I need to make sure I'm taking on more water as well.

Finally, after much thought I think it's possible that my recent bad luck with animals could be a result of my rather indulgent statement in reference to a trail run in a previous post where I said "Just Owen v nature, and Owen won." So in order to settle my debt with nature I hereby retract my earlier statement and instead say to whoever's listening, call off your minions you evil goon!

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I hear you about the animals. I have the same trouble!

11:37 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Owen - you are on fire!!!! 4:06 pace for a 10k run. Hmmm, maybe sub 3:20 at Noosa ....

2:10 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Make that sub 2:20. Which technically is sub 3:20.

2:10 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Great brick session Owen. Your hard work is paying off.

BTW I hate magpies (but shhh, don't tell them - I don't want to get bombed....)

8:55 pm  
Blogger Cirque said...

I'd stay away from stingrays at the moment if I were you.

8:48 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

6am Saturday!!! I think some of us are planning 25 to 30k.

See ya at The Regatta. You can be the magpie target :-)

9:37 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Whoops, meant to say others will be doing shorter runs. And some doing Mt Coot-tha if that takes your fancy.

9:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home