Monday, August 07, 2006

Uhoh...

Still on a high from yesterday's race and feeling really good this morning I went out for a long ride today aiming for about 60km. My right cycling shoe hadn't been feeling quite right so I fiddled with the cleats before I went and pulled them forward a bit so my foot was a bit further back on the pedal.

The ride was going really well for the first 40km, I was under 1:30 (26km/hr) which is really good for me but as I passed the city and headed out to Toowong I started to get some pain in the bottom of my right shin. I thought it would pass, and I've had so many problems on my long rides and didn't want to lose another one, so I pushed on but by the time I got to uni it was realllllly bad.

I was now 48km into the ride and 16km from home... not good! So I turned around and just decided to cruise home as easily as possible but when I got back to Southbank (56km) and got up out of my saddle for a climb my knee buckled and started to hurt as well. By now it was clear I had done something serious so I got off and walked to the nearest cab rank and got a taxi home.

It's still sore now so I'm icing it and cursing my stupidity for pushing on when it wasn't feeling right. More importantly I'm also hoping I haven't jeopardized the Noosa half...

Obviously I'm going to have to take the bike back to the shop for a refit, but in the meantime the next two days are swimming and then rest days so I'll have time to leave it and see what happens...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Uhoh.....It's always a fine line - it's hard to work out if a niggle is something that you need to listen or push through. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you - keep icing!

7:19 am  
Blogger miners said...

gee mate - not sure what technical thingy it was that caused your leg to injure like that. Guess cleat placement is a little more important than the slap-it-together way I've approached it in the past. Hope it sorts it self soon.

btw - thanks for the photos of the valve-thingy

6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home