Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I'm baaaaaack

After a fortnight of dragging high schoolers to speakers and workshops around Sydney, (and trying to maintain guardian-like responsibility over them 24 hours a day!) I'm back. I managed to squeeze in four runs over this time though: 3-4km with Miners the Tuesday after GC, which was very much needed the way my legs were feeling; 7km or so from my Sydney accommodation in Redfern to the Sydney botanic gardens and back on the Friday morning (never knew how nice Sydney was to run in!); then two runs in the last week with one of the students lasting half an hour and an hour respectively around Macquarie university.

For the first time I seem to have completed a proper recovery cycle which is hopefully the first step in a new way of training which will see me actually doing things like recovery runs, easy days and tapers...

My next big thing is the Noosa Tri on October 29 so I've written myself a program which covers the next three months in three phases, basically training for all three disciplines but with a focus on one in each month. The first phase is a run-focus, which incorporates the Bridge to Brisbane and finishes with the Noosa half where I'm going to go for 1:35, I then move into a cycle-focus phase which includes a couple of rides of 90-100km (very long for me), take another week easy, and then have a month of swimming focus before tapering for the big one.

Each week has a long swim, ride and run, a brick set and a swim technique session (which may just involve me doing some drills as a coach is a bit out of my budget atm) and, depending on the focus an extra swim, ride or run of race distance. The lengths of the brick set and swim technique change based on the focus as well.

Hopefully, all this should leave me well-rounded, strong and fit by the time Noosa rolls around...

Now I just have to shake the last bit of this cold those kids have given me!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes Sydney is nice to run around! Glad you made it home in one piece and hoping for a quick recovery from the lurgy

12:38 pm  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

The training plan sounds solid - good luck for late October!

8:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, aren't 'kids' a nuisance!! Thanks for your comment on my blog, Owen. "Goof" started off as a typo but is now a bit of an in-joke with Ewen & my blog!!

I hope you have a very successful triathlon later in the year & look forward to reading of your progress towards it. Good luck!

8:52 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, Sydney is lovely to run. Glad to hear that you made it home safe & sound. Your training plan sounds great - good luck!

9:52 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

I love running in Sydney, glad you got to do a bit of it while you were there.

Soooooo, 95 mins for Noosa hey. I might try to keep you in my sights.

9:14 am  
Blogger miners said...

sounds really solid Owen. There was some interesting talk at CR and transitions recently regarding the length of the brick sessions. Seems to be some support for a theory of not combining longer distances with the brick sessions. Go for a long ride, and then a short run (<5km), but don't go for a 60km+ bike + 15km+ run.

Rest of the program looks great! Best of luck - I'll be watching with interest.

2:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home